Tuesday, October 14, 2014

And a scarf/cowl for my mother

I offered to make my mother something.  I picked out a beautiful blue/green chunky yarn and sent her some interesting patterns to choose from.

She selected a solid seed stitch and wants it in gray.  Oh well, it makes good TV knitting.  I'll have it finished in time for her birthday in two months.

10/13/2014:
131 stitches cast on.
Row 1 halfway completed, then frogged when I foolishly panicked, thinking seed in the round would need an even-number cast on.
Row 1 completed again.

10/25/2014:
8 rows completed.  It takes so long to do each row, I only do 1 or 2 at a time.  But it's taking shape!
 
 
11/16/2014:
22 rows completed. A friend came over yesterday and we watched 8 straight hours of Outlander (and chatted a lot) so we both made good progress on our projects.
 
 
1/5/2015:
The end was more of an adventure than it should have been.  First, I forgot that in knitting, unlike crochet, you had to bind off.  I remembered when I got to the last six inches of yarn (perfect for crochet).  So I tinked back one and a half (long) rounds, then started binding off.  But no, I needed a stretchier bind off.  Tinked all of the current round back, plus another half round.  Then started a stretchy bind off... and ran out of yarn six stitches from the end.  Pulled the extra yarn off my project-bag handle and bound off the rest.  It's a little bulky there, and I'll have more ends to weave, but I just couldn't face pulling it out yet again.
Meanwhile, here it is, double-wrapped around my neck:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment