Friday, September 4, 2015

Brooklyn Boot Liners for ?

Started: 9/3/2015
Finished:  (not yet)

9/3/2015:
My size 3 DPNs go through the needle gauge at a loose 4, and won’t go through as a 3, so I’m not too sure what size they really are. I did a gauge swatch and it was a bit bigger than it should have been, even though I’m usually a tight knitter. So even though the recipient would normally get a medium, I’m going to make her a small. I think that’ll fit her better.  I've cast on and done the first round. 

I intend (subject to change, depending on how I feel about it later) to do all the top decorative part of each sock individually.  It's easy enough to keep the two identical through that part, since it is different every round.  But once it gets into the stockinette leg, I think I'll W&T one of them and then mount it purl-side out on the same needles as the other one, then do sock-in-a-sock knitting through the leg.  That will keep the decreasing and length identical on both socks.  It finishes in 2x2 rib, so it won't need to be turned right-side-out again to complete it.

9/4/2015:
I knitted the second round today on my lunch break and wasn't happy with the looseness of the gauge on these needles.  But I soldiered through the third round, which had some patterning... and then had to call it.  No, these needles aren't going to work.  So I've frogged it all and ordered new DPNs.  This is really a shame since the 3-day weekend starts in 2 hours.  But I do have other projects to work on so it's not a complete loss.  I'll restart this (possibly in a medium, depending how my new gauge swatch comes out) when the new needles arrive.

11/4/2015:
I'm no longer working with Yvonne.  This project will hibernate until I choose a recipient.

No comments:

Post a Comment