Tuesday, April 21, 2015

My husband's knitting puts mine to shame

I taught my husband to knit in November.  I didn't expect him to go very far with it, it just seemed like something to occupy his time for a little while.  Especially since he'd thrown his back out, and knitting is a good way to occupy the hands without hurting the body.

But the man went insane with it.  I taught him throwing, since that was the method I knew.  But I'd wanted to learn picking, so we watched the Craftsy class together.  He converted without any trouble, and now that's all he does. 

Last week he watched the class on cables, and for his first "swatch" he designed a traveling cable pattern and knit a hat in the round.  Holy smokes.  Who does that?!?
 
 

Since we live in Southern California, we just don't have much need for warm clothing.  But hats are all the fashion, so he sticks to making those.  Lots of them.  He promised one to my dad and one to my bonus-dad, so we went to a yarn store this weekend and bought him some good quality yarn.  (I'm still using acrylic, but he's got enough skill already to justify using the good stuff.)  Yesterday he made my dad's hat.  Seriously.  He cast on and had it finished before he came to bed.

Meanwhile, I've still got my mom's cowl and my niece's scarf staring at me accusingly in their incomplete states.

Did I mention he's also busted out a lacy hat for his mother?
 
And a warm, striped one for himself.

 

And those are just the ones I can grab pictures of right now. 

Insanity, I tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment